For three weeks before the second semester begins, students at GSSM participate in a "mini-mester", or January Interim, where they focus on one elective course. Interim classes are a great way for students to ease into the new year, and the wide variety of course offerings allows students to tap into undiscovered talents and explore new hobbies. Several courses include travel and field experiences—we typically offer at least one international and one in-country trip. In years past, groups have visited places like Silicon Valley and the Galapagos Islands.
Course topics are diverse and include science, technology, art, music and drama. Interim courses are taught by members of the GSSM faculty, along with visiting professors from South Carolina colleges and universities.
2015 January Interim classes include:
- Art in the Interim
- Ballroom Dance
- Bermuda High Soaring School Introductory Gliding Course and Advanced Gliding Course
- A Tale of Three Cities Eastern Style: China
- A Worn Path or The Road Less Traveled? Inspiration and Influence in Creative Writing
- Cooking for Geeks
- Origami: The Art of Paperfolding
- Equine Science and Horsemanship
- Charting the Galapagos Islands
- Mental Health Through Pop Culture: The Psychology of Adrian Monk
- Introduction to Filmmaking
- Practicum in Mock Trial
- Music Performance
- Codes and Cyphers
- Robotics with Younger Students: Working with Elementary School Students
- Capitol Connections: Govies and Government
- Sports in the Interim
- Tech Trek: Boston and New York City
Interim classes will be held Monday, January 5th to Wednesday, January 21st.