For three weeks before the second semester begins, students at GSSM participate in a "mini-mester", or January Interim, where they focus on one elective course. Interim classes are a great way for students to ease into the new year, and the wide variety of course offerings allows students to tap into undiscovered talents and explore new hobbies. Several courses include travel and field experiences—we typically offer at least one international and one in-country trip. In years past, groups have visited places like Silicon Valley and the Galapagos Islands.
Course topics are diverse and include science, technology, art, music and drama. Interim courses are taught by members of the GSSM faculty, along with visiting professors from South Carolina colleges and universities.
2014 January Interim classes include:
- Art in the Interim
- Ballroom Dance
- Bermuda High Soaring Gliding Course
- Central America: Rainforests and Ruins: Exploring the Best of Belize
- Cooking for Geeks
- Dyeing in the Interim
- Equine Science and Horsemanship
- Europe: Where the Past meets the Present (Budapest, Vienna, Prague and Munich)
- Forensic Science
- Geometry of Polyhedra
- Introduction to Filmmaking
- Mechanics of Litigation
- Music Performance
- Recreational Math: Advanced Mathematics for Problem Solving
- Robotics with Little People, Working with Elementary School Students
- Science is Everywhere: Online Communication of Science Workshop
- Sports in the Interim
- Tech Trek: Silicon Valley
Interim classes will be held Monday, January 6th to Wednesday, January 22nd.