GSSM Student Fees
Once students are invited to become members of GSSM, parents are provided Financial Aid Information and Fee Payment Instructions at the New Student Orientation in May.
- Student Meal Fee of $2,000 per student. Each school year this fee is applied to help offset the cost of your child’s meal plan. The 2012-13 Student Meal Fee is $2,000. All other basic costs (housing, tuition, textbooks, etc.) are paid by the state of South Carolina. Parents are only responsible for covering a part of the meal plan.
- A one-time refundable security deposit of $100.00 to help cover any damage. This fee is requested once the student accepts the invitation to GSSM. This security deposit will be refunded at the end of the senior year, minus any charges for damages.
The State of South Carolina funds GSSM, and provides a high level of support for our residential students including campus facilities, exceptionally qualified faculty, and a safe and supportive residential environment. Similar to most public schools, meals remain primarily the responsibility of the parent. Through this fee, GSSM parents are asked to provide about two-thirds of their student’s meal-plan costs.
Payment of Fees:
The first payment of the $2000.00 fee is due on or before the first week of August. It is payable in one lump sum or through monthly installments. If necessary, due to hardship, other payment options may be requested through the GSSM Business Office. GSSM does not accept credit card payments. There will no interest charges incurred through any payment plan.
No student will be denied participation in GSSM’s residential program due to inability to pay fees - financial aid is available. GSSM follows a need-blind policy with regard to admitting qualified students. For purposes of financial aid, GSSM uses guidelines based on the Federal Free and Reduced Lunch plan’s family income scale. Financial Aid is granted to families that qualify once the student has been offered an invitation to GSSM.
Optional Costs of a GSSM student:
- A one-time $100.00 Parents Advisory Council (PAC) yearly fee which funds programs sponsored by the PAC committees such as snacks and drinks for GSSM students during athletic events and school dances, and student goody bags.
- Purchase of school yearbook - approximately $70.00, due in the spring semester
- Purchase of school ring
- Purchase of graduation supplies (i.e., cap & gown, invitations)
- Purchase of desktop or laptop computer. GSSM has a Computer Lab for students, but many students choose to have their own personal computer.
- AP and PSAT test fees
- January Interim - GSSM offers a variety of courses for little or no cost, but some activities, like the International trip, may be a little more costly.
Incidental Costs of a GSSM student:
- Health and wellness - Students may keep over the counter medication in their room as long as it is reported to the nurse.
- Academic supplies - GSSM does not have an official school supply list, but items typically needed for the school year are paper, binders, notebooks and journals, pencils & ink pens, backpack, and a graphing calculator.
- Personal items and snacks - Although GSSM does not have an absolute figure for monthly allowances, keep in mind of your teenager’s current expenditures. Each student is different, as is needed monies for personal use (i.e., movies or pizza with friends)
- School dances - GSSM has 2 school dances each year - Winter Formal and Prom.
- Extra-curricular activities and/or sports - Although GSSM supplies athletic gear and uniforms, special items may be needed.