Visiting the GSSM campus is a great way to experience first-hand the energy of the school. There are two options for visiting GSSM. Students and families can attend one of four Preview Days held in October, November, January and February; or prospective students can schedule a Shadow Day during the week to sit in on classes and see a typical day on the GSSM campus.
Get an up-close and personal look at GSSM by attending Preview Day at our campus in Hartsville. Preview Day is a great way for students to learn more about GSSM's two-year academic program, as well as dorm life, athletics and extracurricular activities.
Prospective students and parents will meet faculty, staff and students, take part in a series of informational panels and participate in student-guided campus tours.
Due to limited space, students must meet all GSSM prerequisites to attend a Preview Day. A week prior to the Preview Day, a detailed agenda and directions to the GSSM campus will be emailed to all confirmed registrants.
- Saturday, October 11, 2014, 10am - 2pm - REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
- Saturday, November 8, 2014, 1 - 5pm- REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
- Monday, January 19, 2015, 1 - 5pm
- Saturday, February 7, 2015, 10 - 2pm
Beginning September 22, 2014, prospective students are invited to schedule a Shadow Day on Monday or Wednesday of each academic week. Visiting students shadow current students, sit in on classes, visit with teachers and eat a meal in the dining hall to get a real sense of a day in the life of a Governor's School student.
A group of enthusiastic student ambassadors leads tours for prospective students, giving a real insider's look at the academic and residential aspects of life on campus. While students are shadowing a GSSM student, parents can tour the GSSM campus with an Admissions representative.
Tips for Shadow Days
- Please arrive between 8:30 - 8:45 to meet your host and sign in.
- Bring $5.00 for lunch in our dining hall.
- Once parents are given a tour of the GSSM campus, they are dismissed and can spend a few hours getting to know the community of Hartsville and surrounding county of Darlington. Parents return to GSSM’s campus in the afternoon to pick up their student and sign out.
- GSSM follows the typical school holiday breaks for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, but does not always coincide with all school districts. Please call the GSSM Admissions office at least a week in advance to schedule a visit.
- Visits are not scheduled during final exams or AP testing.
- While visiting our campus, please be respectful of our students and our school policies.
- You may bring a cell phone with you, but it must be turned to silent during classes.
- No food or drinks are allowed in the gym area.
- All visiting students must remain with their assigned hosts at all times.
- Take your time getting to know GSSM! You may stay until 4pm or you may leave as early as you wish.
If you have questions, please contact our Admissions office at 843-383-3944 or firstname.lastname@example.org.