Visiting the GSSM campus is a great way to experience first-hand the energy of the school. The Admissions Office can schedule individual tours or sophomore students can attend one of four Preview Days held in October, November, January and February.
Opportunities to Visit GSSM
Get an up-close and personal look at GSSM by attending Preview Day at our campus in Hartsville. Preview Day is a great way for high school sophomores to learn more about GSSM's two-year academic program as well as dorm life, athletics and extracurricular activities.
Prospective students and parents will meet faculty, staff and students, take part in a series of informational panels and participate in student-guided campus tours.
Students must be a current sophomore to register for a Preview Day. Once a student registers for a Preview Day, a confirmation packet with a detailed agenda and directions to the GSSM campus will be mailed.
**All scheduled Preview Days have ended for the year.**
Individual Tours/Tag-a-long Days
Individual tours are held on Monday and Wednesday of each academic week. Visiting students shadow current students, sit in on classes, visit with teachers and eat a meal in the dining hall to get a real sense of a day in the life of a Governor's School student.
A group of enthusiastic student ambassadors leads tours for prospective students, giving a real insider's look at the academic and residential aspects of life on campus. While students are shadowing a GSSM student, parents can tour the GSSM campus with an Admissions representative.
To schedule a tour, please call our Admissions office at 843-383-3944.
Tips for Visitors
- Please arrive between 8:30 - 8:45 to meet your host and sign in.
- Bring $5.00 for lunch in our dining hall.
- Once parents are given a tour of the GSSM campus, they are dismissed and can spend a few hours getting to know the community of Hartsville and surrounding county of Darlington. Parents return to GSSM’s campus in the afternoon to pick up their student and sign out.
- GSSM follows the typical school holiday breaks for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, but does not always coincide with all school districts. Please call the GSSM Admissions office at least a week in advance to schedule a visit.
- Visits are not scheduled during final exams or AP testing.
- While visiting our campus, please be respectful of our students and our school policies.
- You may bring a cell phone with you, but it must be turned to silent during classes.
- No food or drinks are allowed in the gym area.
- All visiting students must remain with their assigned hosts at all times.
- Take your time getting to know GSSM! You may stay until 4pm or you may leave as early as you wish.