For three weeks before the second semester begins, students at GSSM participate in a "mini-mester", or January Interim, where they focus on one elective course. Interim classes are a great way for students to ease into the new year, and the wide variety of course offerings allows students to tap into undiscovered talents and explore new hobbies. Several courses include travel, nationally or internationally, and field experiences. In years past, groups have visited places like Silicon Valley and the Galapagos Islands.
Course topics are diverse and include science, technology, art, music and drama. Interim courses are taught by members of the GSSM faculty, along with visiting professors from South Carolina colleges and universities.
2019 January Interim Classes
- Mental Health through Pop Culture: Psychology of Adrian Monk
- Origami: The Art of Paper Folding
- Advanced Origami
- Codes and Cyphers
- Equine Science and Horsemanship
- Bermuda High Soaring School Gliding Introductory Course
- Introduction to Filmmaking
- It's the End of the World as We Know It
- Introduction to Sports Medicine
- The Beauty of Mathematics
- Chess in the Interim
- Practicum in Mock Trial
- The Cooking Lab
- College Athletics in the Interim
- Art in the Interim
- Kite Aerial Photography and Photogrammetry
- Making Geometric Shapes
- Make Your Life Easier with Computer Automation
- Music Performance
- How Stories are Told: An Exploration of Race, Gender, and Culture in Media
- American Sign Language and Deaf Studies
2019 National and International Trips
- Belgium: The Heart of Europe
- Tech Trek: Boston and New York
- A Tale of Two Cities
- Dominican Republic: The Playground of Tropical Biodiversity and the Birthplace of Europe's "New World"
- The Southwestern Experience: An Adventure into National Parks and Native America
- Peru: Culture, History and Biodiversity
- Treasures of Thailand
Interim classes will be held Monday, January 7th to Wednesday, January 23rd.