Innovative engineering education for 10th, 11th, and 12th graders which allows students to earn up to 49 college credits by the end of the 12th grade.*
Accelerate allows students to get the GSSM experience while still living at home and continuing at their local schools. Classes are delivered in a live interactive video conferencing format, Dual enrollment credits are awarded by university partners.
Accelerate is only available in select school districts. See if Accelerate is available at your high school.
- The Accelerate program provides intense, advanced academic preparation and exposure to the real-world of engineering during 10th, 11th and 12th grades in high schools across South Carolina
- Successful completion of Accelerate will result in as many as 49 semester hours of college credit, depending on college choice and major as well as individual student commitment, motivation and performance.
- Accelerate offers opportunities for success in engineering and other fields, opportunities to begin higher-level courses earlier, and opportunities to take a broader range of elective courses
- Curriculum oversight is provided by our partner colleges, enhanced by engineering firms, taught by qualified faculty and supported by community educators and engineers
- Accelerate includes significant emphasis on real-world, team-based projects carried out throughout the academic year, as well as through Saturday experiences and summer camps
- Accelerate includes a first-summer Base Camp in Hartsville, followed by two, one-week summer experiences on college campuses, with the ultimate goal of having students enter into an industry internship prior to the start of college
- Accelerate curriculum stresses mastery of foundational tools of engineering, physics, calculus, chemistry, and English, and membership in a virtual community of like-minded students
- Extracurricular activities are designed to enhance engineering concepts with added emphasis on leadership, public speaking, communication and career planning
General Information Application Process District Partners & Sites
Costs & Fees
Accelerate is generously supported by the SC General Assembly and corporate partners. There is no cost to participate in the program. However, parents are responsible to provide transportation to summer camps and Saturday Experiences. The Accelerate staff works to assist parents in arranging car pools, if requested.
Requirements for consideration include:
- Course grades/transcripts
- Standardized test scores
- Extracurricular and volunteer activities
- Teacher and guidance counselor recommendations
- Written essay
- Mathematics assessment
Note: Students must complete Algebra l prior to the beginning of 9th grade, and project successful completion of Algebra ll by the end of 9th grade.