Happy New Year!
2020 is here! As we embark upon this new year and new decade, the GSSM Foundation wishes you a happy and prosperous new year. Thank you for championing our amazing school!
Beyond Science & Math: Interim 2020
Every January, GSSM students take a three-week break from their regular studies to focus on one elective course during Interim. Pictured above:
- Students in the Professional Sports Interim studied the history of sports, toured several professional athletic facilities, and explored issues professional athletes face.
- Introduction to Filmmaking Interim students experienced all aspects of film/video production, from writing to acting to cinematography to editing, culminating in the production of their own short films.
- Strength and Conditioning Interim students developed plans for strength, weight, and conditioning training and practiced basic sports medicine.
- The Costa Rica Conservation Expedition Interim class had a great time searching for frogs and medicinal plants at La Selva Biological Field Station, exploring tropical rainforests and cloud forests, and even zip-lining through the jungle.
- In the Art in the Interim class, students worked alongside professional artists to explore traditional and contemporary art techniques and processes and create their own works of art.
- Students in the Equine Science and Horsemanship Interim learned all about riding and caring for horses.
- From playing instruments to buckets to wine glasses, the Music Performance Interim experimented with different ways of making music.
- The Cooking Lab Interim class discovered the science behind certain foods while cooking up delicious recipes.
Feathering the Nest
Last month, the GSSM Foundation held its second-annual employee fundraising campaign. The goal was to raise $10,000 from GSSM employees to #FeatherTheNest in support of The Student Fund, which helps pay for expenses GSSM residential students face during their time on campus. For example, last year The Student Fund purchased plane tickets for two students to attend scholarship weekends at their colleges.
It is our pleasure to announce that we exceeded our goal by over $1,000! GSSM faculty and staff give so generously of themselves to support our students throughout the year, and their contributions to The Student Fund are a tangible demonstration of how much they care. Thank you for making this our most successful employee campaign yet!
And thanks to an alumni donor, employees' contributions to The Student Fund will make even more of a difference! Because we met the $10,000 goal, this alumnus donated an additional $5,000 to The Student Fund.
Sponsor Spotlight: The Boeing Company
The Boeing Company began Final Assembly production in South Carolina in 2011, and it has been part of the GSSM family ever since! In fact, even before the Charleston facility opened, Rick Stephens, a senior administrator from Boeing, was the keynote speaker for the Townes Award Dinner.
Boeing has invested generously in GSSM's summer camps and outreach programs, as well as Accelerate, the virtual engineering program, for many years. This support enabled GSSM to expand its outreach efforts to more underserved communities, launching camps in Orangeburg, Georgetown, and Lake City over the past five years. Boeing also regularly welcomes GSSM students and summer campers to its Charleston facility for tours and insight into the manufacturing process, and Boeing employees who volunteer as guest speakers at GSSM's summer camps provide invaluable mentorship and motivation to students.
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial jetliners, defense, space and security systems, and service provider of aftermarket support. As America’s biggest manufacturing exporter, the company supports airlines and U.S. and allied government customers in more than 150 countries. Boeing products and tailored services include commercial and military aircraft, satellites, weapons, electronic and defense systems, launch systems, advanced information and communication systems, and performance-based logistics and training.
GSSM is proud to call The Boeing Company a partner. Thank you for investing so much in our amazing school and exceptional students!