SC Governor's School for Science & Mathematics
November 20, 2017
For nearly 30 years, GSSM has provided students across South Carolina with a nationally competitive education, a one-of-a-kind residential experience, and access to unique summer research internships. As we count down the days to #GivingTuesday, we’re reflecting on what makes this School and the Alumni Association so special as we #GiveThanksForGSSM.
Here are a few things that we’re thankful for:
1. Our Alumni: Although we have over 1,800 alumni, we all have at least one thing in common: GSSM. Whether you strike up a conversation at a reconnect or meet someone randomly on your college campus, there's just something special about knowing you can go anywhere in the world and find a friend!
2. Life-Long Mentors: We're thankful for the faculty and staff that served as surrogate guardians while we were at GSSM. They spent hours, evenings, and weekends teaching us more than what was on their syllabus. Shout out to those amazing mentors who have turned into life-long friends!
3. Career Services Center: To address the GSSM Foundation's mission of positively impacting economic development in South Carolina through the cultivation of students and alumni, we’ve developed a Career Services Center to assist with internship and career connections and placements. The CSC offers one-to-one talent matching services for alumni, up-to-date job and internship postings, customized recruitment connection plans, and SMARTgathering networking events held annually across the state. The Foundation team and the alumni network are always there to help you find your next adventure! Learn more by visiting https://www.scgssm.org/support/career-services.
4. Startsville & GSSM Launch: Govies supporting Govies! A creativity hub in downtown Hartsville, Startsville is designed to incubate startups, collaborations and new innovations generated by our alumni, students, members of the Hartsville community, and other eager entrepreneurs from across the state. GSSM Launch is an emerging initiative designed to support alumni with entrepreneurial start-up ideas aimed at South Carolina. Launch connects alumni to our state’s business leaders, manufacturers, venture capitalists and more, with the goal of helping our graduates start, relocate or grow their SC-based businesses.
5. Future Govies: Most people can probably agree that babies are one of the highlights of our social media feeds right now. What's even better than a cute baby? A cute baby in a Future Govie T-shirt!! We're so thankful that we get to watch the next generation of Govies as they grow up and take on the world!
6. Alumni Association Events: Whether you're attending a Happy Hour with your local alumni chapter or coming home to South Carolina for the annual Winter Gathering, Alumni events keep us connected to our GSSM family. Take a look at what's coming up!
7. 3-30-300 Campaign: We're thankful that we can give back through this celebratory alumni campaign! From SPRI to Interim adventures, the School offered Govies 30-years of opportunities. Through the 3-30-300 Campaign, we get to help make those opportunities possible for the next 30 graduating classes.
8. Celebrating Success: Our classmates and alumni community are doing some amazing, world-changing things. We're thankful that we have people we know and trust as doctors, attorneys, engineers, and innovators. And, we're thankful that we have the best pep squad in the world cheering for us as we work to leave the world better than we found it. Go, Team!
9. Alumni Association Board: We are thankful that we have a group of alumni who serve to represent us and our best interests as a community. These Govies take time out of their busy schedules to attend board meetings, serve on committees, and make sure our voices get heard. They work year-round on the alumni magazine, gssmNOW, and plan fun new events that become traditions. Thanks for all that you do!
10. GSSM Community: Students, parents, faculty, staff, alumni, and donors. Together, we make the GSSM Community - one of the most special aspects of the Governor’s School. Today, as we #GiveThanksForGSSM, we’re raising our glasses to you. Thanks for all you do to support GSSM!
Haven’t participated in the GSSM Alumni Giving Campaign? There’s still time. You can donate now!
Share your favorite GSSM memories with #GiveThanksForGSSM on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.