Posted: 2 weeks15 days ago
Company/Organization: SC Governor's School for Science & Mathematics
Location: Hartsville, South Carolina
As a school recognized for academic excellence where 100% of our students attend college, the South Carolina Governor’s School for Science & Mathematics (GSSM) invites applications for a College Counselor. This is a full-time, 12-month position reporting to the Director of College Counseling and Advising.
On a day to day basis, the College Counselor will:
- Work closely with individual students in their assigned counseling group (residential, virtual-at home high school, and virtual-at home students), recommending colleges for each student to consider based on the student’s interests, and helping each student with the college application process, including reviewing essays.
- Counsel students and parent(s)/guardian(s) through every stage of the college admission process, including applications for merit scholarships, honors programs, and applying for financial aid.
- Write supportive, relevant, and compelling letters of recommendation.
- Prepare school documents for student’s applications and submitting via our online college application management system, SCOIR.
- Communicate effectively with parents, via individual student/parent meetings and written correspondence.
- Serve as a teacher in GSSM’s College Planning Seminar in fall and spring, conducting classes on applying to college, resume building, and writing compelling and effective college essays.
- Build and foster strong relationships with college and scholarship representatives to best advocate for our students.
- Assist with the administration of standardized testing (PSAT, SAT, ACT, Career Readiness exams, and AP exams).
- Pursue on-going professional development by attending conferences and college tours.
- Demonstrate proven ability to multi-task, organize events, shift gears, make decisions quickly and most importantly, have fun.
We are looking for someone who is self-motivated, inquisitive, creative, and appreciates being part of a highly qualified and motivated team. Specifically, we seek someone with:
- Bachelor’s degree and experience in college admissions and/or college counseling. Master’s degree preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of colleges and universities as well as an understanding of the current college admissions landscape.
- Proficiency in MS Office, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and familiarity with using a student database for college admissions such as SCOIR or Naviance.
- Intimate knowledge of the financial aid process.
- Excellent communication, writing, and public-speaking skills.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends, when needed, for special programming.
- Ability to coordinate and accomplish tasks in a deadline-driven environment.
- A strong sense of ethics and professionalism.
- A team-oriented approach to all aspects of the college counseling process and a collaborative spirit of engagement in all professional endeavors.
- Commitment to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive school community
- Ability to work collaboratively on a team with humility, patience, and a sense of humor.
- Experience working with high school students in an advanced and specialized academic environment is preferable.
- Experience working with students virtually (i.e. via Zoom) is very appealing to us.
This is a full-time (12-month) position with State benefits and salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The position start date is as soon as possible, but it will remain open until filled.
We are especially interested in hearing from candidates who are able to contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community, which we consider indispensable to our future growth and success. Applicants are encouraged to address how they might assist GSSM in this way by discussing it in their cover letter.
If you would like be considered for this opportunity, please complete the GSSM/SC State Employment Application form linked here (pdf) and return with your CV or résumé, and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “College Counselor” in the subject line.
GSSM is an equal opportunity employer. Applications are being accepted now.