Jobs & Internships
Director of Strategy
Posted: 5 years63 months271 weeks1900 days ago
Company/Organization: Milliken & Company
Location: Spartanburg, SC
The Director of Strategy will play a key role in the development and execution of Milliken & Company’s overall strategy and growth initiatives. This executive will be tasked with providing thought leadership to develop game-changing, high-performance growth strategies, demonstrating the ability to translate strategy into action and helping business unit leaders to operationalize plans to grow their respective businesses organically and through acquisitions. He/she will be charged with shaping key strategic initiatives and leading the company’s strategic planning process, through which enterprise plans and priorities are developed.
- Partner closely with the EVP, Strategy & Corporate Development, the Division Presidents and the senior management team to stay ahead of trends in and around the industry. Focus on all opportunities for the company to continue to improve and accelerate its competitive position.
- Play a key role in the planning, designing, due diligence and implementation of the company’s strategic objectives to deliver exceptional performance, both organically and inorganically.
- Identify potential technology collaboration opportunities, define joint solutions, develop business cases and drive go-to-market strategy, including possible joint ventures.
- Act as a thought partner and resource to the strategy leaders in the business units; foster effective dialogue between them and ensure that each business unit's strategy is implemented within the overall context of the corporate strategic direction.
- Add personal insight, galvanizing discussion and debate across the organization on key strategic issues. Generate fresh ideas and creative approaches.
- Monitor progress of long- and near-term strategic objectives across the company, establishing standards and protocols on a company-wide basis.
- At least three years of commercial experience, plus two or more years of progressive experience in strategy. Experience will ideally include M&A and other capital investments.
- A combination of strategy experience with global diversified companies and a top Tier 1 strategy consulting firm.
- A successful track record with world-class, high-performing companies.
- Experience developing insights that have resulted in a repositioning into higher growth, more attractive markets and greater market share.
- An undergraduate degree in business, finance, economics, engineering or a related area and an M.B.A.
Founded in 1865, Milliken & Company just might be the most innovative, privately-held company in the world. Milliken combines science with design and insights to tackle the issues and concerns of today. Milliken has long led the way for "knowledge-based" investment, employing over 100 Ph.D.’s, and has accumulated over 2,200 U.S. patents - and more than 5,000 patents worldwide. Every day, Milliken’s community of innovators is invigorated by the challenge of finding creative ways to enhance people's lives and make the world easier, safer, more sustainable and more beautiful.
Milliken follows three guiding principles to frame its innovation work. These are:
- Meaningful Design – creating solutions that are not just original, but enhance people's lives, impacting society in real and profound ways;
- Unique Insights – insights born out of a rich repository of collective knowledge, strong customer relationships and a willingness to take risks; and,
- Deep Science – combining the structure and order of the scientific method with immense curiosity and creativity to create new technologies that are both more effective and friendlier to nature.
Today, Milliken is a diversified multibillion dollar global company with over 35 manufacturing facilities located in the U.S., U.K., Belgium, France and China, and over 7,000 associates. Milliken operates through four divisions: Chemicals, Performance Products, Specialty Fabrics and Commercial Interiors.
The Chemicals Division develops and manufactures a range of specialty chemical additives and colorants that create value for customers by improving performance, appearance, productivity, and costs. Serving a wide range of customers and applications, examples include water soluble colorants for household cleaners (Liquitint ®), plastic additives that make polypropylene clearer (ClearTint ®), golf course turf colorants (Blazon ®), fugitive tints for textiles (Versitint ®), and active fluid management wound care (AFM®).
The Performance Products Division develops and manufactures a variety of innovative, differentiated materials solutions for transportation, building, infrastructure, and military applications. Examples include the core material used to make windmill blades (Tycor ®), material used to make luggage and football shoulder pads (Tegris ®), erosion control systems (Concrete Cloth™), ballistic materials and roofing reinforcements.
The Specialty Fabrics Division develops and manufactures a wide array of specialty performance, protective, and safety fabrics. Examples include flame resistant uniforms (ResQ ™), wicking fabric for active wear (VisaEndurance ®), and flame resistant barrier materials for mattresses (Paladin ®).
The Commercial Interiors Division serves the high-end architectural and design floor covering market, beautifying offices, hotels, airports, and other commercial and institutional environments. Examples include everything from broadloom carpets (Etage ®), modular carpet squares (Legato ®), architectural mats (Obex ®) to college themed rugs (My Team ®).