Instructor in Hydroponic Research
Posted: 1 month7 weeks50 days ago
The Instructor in Hydroponic Research at GSSM will provide academic, research, and outreach programming to the GSSM community through operation of GSSM’s Hydroponic Research Lab. This multi-faceted position will provide unique opportunities for student learning through research projects and engagement with state-of-the-art agricultural technology. It will also include opportunities to collaborate with research partners, GSSM administration, faculty, and staff under the direction of GSSM’s Director of Research & Inquiry.
The GSSM Hydroponic Research Lab is a fully contained, and highly automated, vertical hydroponic farm constructed in an upcycled, insulated, shipping container produced by FarmBox Foods being installed on the GSSM campus in the Summer of 2022. This position will have the opportunity to contribute to the establishment of the Hydroponic Research Lab and direction of the associated research programs.
This is a 10-month position with the potential for employment during the Summer on a contract basis.
The Instructor in Hydroponic Research is responsible for the following:
- Managing all aspects of plant growth in the Hydroponic Research Lab and maintaining operational availability, including but not limited to day-to-day operations, tracking growth, monitoring system issues, maintaining necessary supplies, safety, and sanitization.
- Teaching one Research & Inquiry course per semester utilizing the Hydroponic Research Lab.
- Developing, managing, and delivering year-round research opportunities.
- Developing, managing, and delivering year-round and summer outreach educational opportunities in collaboration with the GSSM Center for Science Education & Outreach.
- Collaborating with GSSM faculty & curriculum committee to integrate hydroponic research concepts into the curriculum and support classroom activities that benefit from interaction with the Hydroponic Research Lab.
- Participating i n Biology Department faculty meetings and professional development processes.
- Performing other duties assigned by the Director of Research & Inquiry.
- Research experience.
- Teaching experience at the advanced high school or college levels.
- Experience in agricultural science, horticulture, or related fields.
- Experience with hydroponic agriculture is preferred.
- Comfort conducting manual tasks such as lifting moderate weights, repetitive hand tasks, bending, crouching, twisting, reaching, and kneeling in warm, cold, or wet environments.
- Enthusiasm for and knowledge of teaching focused on high-performing students.
- The ability to communicate effectively and engage constructively with diverse stakeholders in local, state, national, and international settings.
- The ability to work and coordinate multiple tasks independently.
- The ability to work collaboratively with diverse teams.
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software.
- Willingness to learn new systems and processes.
Interested applicants should have a master’s degree, or higher, in an applicable STEM field. This position Reports to the Director of Research & Inquiry
GSSM is mission-driven to bring excellence and advanced STEM experiences within reach of every South Carolina family. The Instructor of Hydroponic Research will join a dedicated team of professionals working together to make that happen.
We are especially interested in hearing from candidates who are able to contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community, which we consider indispensable to our future growth and success. Applicants are encouraged to address how they might assist GSSM in this way by discussing it in their cover letter.
If you would like be considered for this opportunity, please complete the GSSM/SC State Employment Application form linked here (pdf) and return with your CV or resume, and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, to email@example.com. Please include the words Instructor in Hyrdropnic Research in the subject line.
GSSM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.