STEM Foundations Program Coordinator
Posted: 1 month6 weeks46 days ago
Company/Organization: Governor's School for Science + Mathematics
Location: Hartsville, SC
GSSM is a public, tuition-free, STEM high school for students across the state of South Carolina. The school offers residential, virtual, and outreach programs to advance the state's most talented and motivated students by offering them a transforming STEM education. Following the spirit of this mission, we recently started a new synchronous Online Diploma Program called STEM Foundations that extends the benefits of GSSM’s high-impact STEM education to a new group of students across the state. These students remain at their homes and complete coursework virtually.
The GSSM STEM Foundations Coordinator will assist the STEM Foundations Manager by facilitating seminars, acting as a liaison between the program and the various institutional offices, coordinating student non-course requirements, and organizing cultural experiences and leadership activities. The Coordinator will also help organize and, in some cases provide, academic support, academic advising, and guidance counseling.
Regular duties include:
- Hosting daily study hall time for students via Zoom (1-2 hours per day)
- Teaching fall semester Academic Transitions seminar via Zoom (1 hourlong seminar per week)
- Ordering and organizing supplies for STEM Foundations classes
- Proctoring standardized tests (PSAT, SAT, AP exams, etc.)
- Ensuring that students have completed community engagement requirement
- Ensuring that students have completed cultural event requirement
- Managing Student Assistants and Peer Tutors
- Assisting with Interim for STEM Foundations students
- Serving as advisor for National Honor Society and helping students coordinate other clubs
- Providing general academic support to struggling students
- Working with IT to complete registration process for STEM Foundations students
- Helping students practice their 10-minute research presentations
- Maintaining student records
- Writing and/or editing program documents and presentations
- A bachelor’s degree (masters preferred)
- At least one year of experience working with high-school-aged students in an academic environment (online teaching experience preferred)
- Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills
- Superior organizational and time management skills
- The ability to work in a dynamic environment with various stakeholders at different levels within the organization
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
This is a full-time 10-month position with benefits through the state of South Carolina. Salary is competitive and commiserate with experience and qualifications. The person hired for this position is expected to work from our campus in Hartsville, SC and may work outside of regular business hours.
Please apply electronically. Forward a cover letter and resume, along with the GSSM/State Application, available on our website (www.scgssm.org/employment), to Careers@gssm.k12.sc.us. Include “STEM Foundations Coordinator” in the subject line. The Governor’s School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.