Sent on behalf of Interim President / Senior Vice President for Residential, Mr. Danny Dorsel:
Dear GSSM Community,
Please find below some updates for this week.
COVID-19 testing, cases and contract tracing
- There were no positives cases this week.
- On Tuesday, April 6, all students will be tested on campus
- If you received the vaccine, you will need to provide our Student Health Services with a copy of your vaccination record.
- If your vaccination card is on record and you are fully vaccinated (2 weeks after final shot), you will not be considered a close contact and will not be required to return home for 14 days of quarantine.
Reminders of safety precautions
- Students returning to the residence halls:
- Should continue to self-quarantine at home.
- Can turn in a negative COVID-19 test dated March 31 or later and it can be rapid or PCR.
- The REACH survey for students at home is now available. I highly suggest that you start completing the REACH survey by 10:30 AM each morning this coming week to get into or back into the habit of doing it.
- Make sure you are committed to following our community standards and safety precautions, especially in regards to mask and tag wearing and social distancing, so that you can remain on campus.
2nd Residency Period
- Students returning to campus on Monday, April 5, you will not be able to sign out of the residence halls until we receive all test results from our COVID-19 testing day on Tuesday, April 6.
- We will communicate lifting this adjusted safety precaution as soon as we receive all test results, which we anticipate being on Wednesday, April 7.
- Students that plan to return later than April 5 because they are waiting to receive their 2nd vaccination shot need to contact Dr. Thomas, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Nurse Patti, email@example.com, as soon as possible.
- Curfew time reminder
- Students may sign out of the building beginning at 7:00 a.m. each morning unless otherwise communicated. Campus curfew will be 7:00 p.m. every evening. The only exceptions will be activities sponsored by Campus Life or another approved school entity. Building curfew will be 8:00 p.m. on the weeknights and 9:00 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.
- To specify, students must be on campus by 7:00 p.m. and inside by 8:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 9:00 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays.
- Improvements to the wifi in residence halls is complete and we're looking forward to student feedback on the experience.
- If there is a new wifi access point in your room, be sure to give it space to breathe! Keeping all objects, especially metal ones, 24 inches away from the access point will allow it to perform at its best.
- Remember that hotspots and wifi printers will cause connectivity and performance issues for people near them. Do not use them in the residence halls.
- If you run into any challenges using the new wifi, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact tracing tags
- Students returning to campus who did not participate in Residency 1 will pick up their contact tracing tag at the IT table in the gym during check-in.
Scooters in downtown Hartsville
- The City of Hartsville is collaborating with Bird (www.bird.co) to provide electric scooters around town. You may notice them parked around town when you return.
- Anyone 18 years or older may sign up on the Bird app to rent the scooters.
- GSSM reminds students who might want to use the scooters to operate them safely, remain within walking boundaries, and always wear a helmet (not provided by Bird).
- Scooters will not allow riders to end their rides (i.e. stop billing) on the GSSM campus but they may be left at the park across Railroad Avenue.
- Bird scooters currently rent for $1.00 to start the ride, then $0.39 per minute.
- You should have received an email last week from Dr. Matt Martin. Let him know if you have questions (email@example.com).
- You should have received an email from Dr. Matt Martin last week about interim course fees. Let him know if you have questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Monday, April 5
- No classes on this day.
- Students returning to residency should return to campus no later than 7:00 PM.
Tuesday, April 6
- Classes resume in their hybrid mode following a Monday class and lab schedule.
I hope everyone has a great and refreshing weekend.
Interim President / Senior Vice President for Residential
SC Governor's School for Science + Mathematics