Sent on behalf of Interim President / Senior Vice President for Residential, Mr. Danny Dorsel:
Dear GSSM Community,
Please find below some updates for this week.
COVID-19 testing, cases and contract tracing
- The entire GSSM community participated in testing yesterday.
- We had four inconclusive COVID-19 tests this week. After working with the students and MUSC, we determined that two were negative and one was positive. We are still working on the other one. For the positive case, we initiated our contact tracing protocol, and all those in close contact have been contacted. We thank the students and families involved for cooperating with our safety protocols.
- All other tests were negative this week.
- Continued thanks to MUSC for collaborating with us.
Reminders of safety precautions
- We would have loved to have made it through all seven weeks of residency without a positive case. To only have one positive case during that time, speaks volumes for our community’s commitment to safety and adherence to the safety precautions we have in place.
- This positive case at the end of the first residency also serves as a sobering reminder that we are still in the midst of a pandemic. As you consider your decision for the second residency period, please take time to really think about your commitment to our community standards. The health and well-being of all our community members is our top priority. We want to have our campus filled with students. To do so, we must also remain committed to keeping each other safe. If you are not fully committed to following our safety precautions, then returning to campus is not in the best interest for you or the GSSM community.
2nd Residency Period
- Information regarding the 2nd residency period has been emailed.
- All students, including those currently in residence, and families must complete the release by Monday, March 22, 2021.
2021-2022 Academic Calendar update
Friday, March 12
- After the R2W test, spring break begins!
- All students must checkout of the residency hall no later than 6:00 PM.
- Enjoy and be safe!
Monday, March 22 – Friday, April 2
- Classes resume with all students remaining virtual and self-quarantining at home if they plan to return to residency.
Monday, April 5
- No classes on this day.
- Students returning to residency should return to campus no later than 6:00 PM.
Tuesday, April 6
- Classes resume in their hybrid mode.
I hope everyone has a great and refreshing weekend.
Mr. Danny Dorsel
Interim President / Senior Vice President for Residential
SC Governor's School for Science + Mathematics