Sent on behalf of Interim President / Senior Vice President for Residential, Mr. Danny Dorsel:
Dear GSSM Community,
Please find below some updates for this week.
COVID-19 testing, cases and contract tracing
- There were two inconclusive COVID-19 tests this week that turned out to be negative after working with the students and MUSC. We thank the students and their families involved for cooperating with our safety protocols.
- All other tests were negative this week.
- The one inconclusive test result from last week turnout to be negative. We thank this student and family for cooperating with our safety protocols.
- Next Thursday all students will be tested prior to departing for spring break on Friday.
- Continued thanks to MUSC for collaborating with us.
Reminders of safety precaution
- With one more week of residency, the tendency might be to let your guard down. I ask that as students plan to return to their homes, that all students, faculty and staff take extra precautions going into next week.
- Please remember to charge your tag each Friday
- If your tag is missing or damaged, please write to Mr. Shannon for a replacement
- Remember that you must wear your tag whenever you leave your residence hall room or have a visitor who is not your roommate.
- Thank you to all students for continuing to do the right thing to keep themselves and others healthy.
GSSM Covid-19 safety precaution video
- The following link will take you to a video that describes many of the safety precautions implemented this semester: https://youtu.be/XowJ_aH68R4
2nd Residency Period
- Information regarding the 2nd residency period has been emailed.
- All students, including those currently in residence, and families must complete the release by Monday, March 22nd, 2021.
- The interim course catalog has been emailed to students and families.
- Course requests are due to Mrs. Bryan, email@example.com, no later than Monday, March 8th at 5pm.
AP exam update
- More detailed information about the specifics surrounding the AP exams will be sent out by Mr. Sintich.
- The overview is students on campus will take the exams in person on campus. The students off campus will have the option to come on campus to take the exam in person or take the exam from home online.
- GSSM graduation will be on May 22nd at 10:00 AM.
- We are planning an outdoor ceremony on campus.
- Our speaker will be Dr. Vikhyat Bebarta (Class of 1990), a great GSSM success story.
- Because of current safety precautions, each senior will have a limited number of tickets for guests. We will move to the gym in case of rain, with seniors and a more limited number of their guests able to attend.
- The ceremony will also be livestreamed for remote viewing.
- We will send more details as planning progresses. Please contact Dr. Matt Martin (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your questions and ideas.
2021-2022 Academic Calendar update
- The academic calendar will be sent out next week.
Friday, March 12th
- Spring Break will begin after the state required Ready to Work assessment is complete.
- We anticipate the test to start around 8:00 AM and be completed by noon.
- Students coming from off campus will begin around 9:00 AM.
- There will be grab-n-go lunch service on this day.
- All students must checkout of the residency hall no later than 6:00 PM.
- There will be no classes held on this day.
Monday, March 22nd – Friday, April 2nd
- Classes resume with all students remaining virtual and self-quarantining at home if they plan to return to residency.
Monday, April 5th
- No classes on this day.
- Students returning to residency should return to campus no later than 6:00 PM.
Tuesday, April 6th
- Classes resume in their hybrid mode
I hope everyone has a great and refreshing weekend.
Mr. Danny Dorsel
Interim President / Senior Vice President for Residential
SC Governor's School for Science + Mathematics