Sent on behalf of Interim President / Senior Vice President for Residential, Mr. Danny Dorsel:
Dear GSSM Community,
Please find below some updates for this week.
COVID-19 testing, cases and contract tracing
- There was one positive test for the rotational testing completed on Wednesday, May 12. Our quarantine protocol for this student and their close contacts has begun. We appreciate their cooperation and that of their families.
- Next week we will test the entire student body on Monday, May 17. This will be our last testing for the academic year.
- We want to once again thank MUSC for their invaluable partnership this year. I also want to thank Ms. Gibson, Mrs. Carabo and our Health Services staff for all they did to allow the testing to operate smoothly.
Reminders of safety precautions
- With one week remaining, the temptation to relax your guard will grow with each day. I ask that you remain committed to our safety precautions and community standards. We want everyone to enjoy this last week and remain on campus.
DHEC opt-out forms for masks
- If you will be sending in a DHEC opt-out form to Ms. Gibson (firstname.lastname@example.org) please note that she will be in the office today, Friday, May 14 until 5:00 pm and back in the office on Monday, May 17 at 8:30 am. Any forms sent over the weekend will be processed on Monday morning.
AP exam update
- The last day for on-campus AP exams are Monday, May 17. Students did a great job managing APs and their interims.
- Thank you to Mr. Sintich who coordinated all AP-related activities and to the many faculty and staff who gave of their time to proctor the exams.
- Interim will continue until Wednesday, May 19 at noon. Be sure to ask your Govie about the exciting things they've been learning during their interim courses.
End of year move out
- Saturday and Sunday, May 15 and 16: Preliminary move-out. Please refer to information sent from Dr. Thomas about how to proceed during these days.
- Wednesday, May 19: All juniors must move out by 6:00 pm on this day. Interim will end at noon. Please refer to information sent from Dr. Thomas about how to proceed on this day.
- Saturday, May 22: All graduates must move out by 2:00 pm on this day. Graduation will begin at 10:00 am and conclude before noon. Please refer to information sent from Dr. Thomas about how to proceed on this day.
Seniors currently at home
- Seniors at home should have already received a communication from Dr. Mobley about returning next week and subsequently responded already. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Mobley.
- If you do not plan to return until the morning of Graduation, Saturday, May 22, you need to contact Dr. Martin, email@example.com.
- Graduation tickets were mailed to families of seniors April 29. Please let Dr. Martin (firstname.lastname@example.org) know if you have not received them.
- You should also receive a detailed email today from Dr. Martin with procedural graduation information.
Intent to Continue Forms
- Junior families whose students plan to return to GSSM for their senior year need to turn in their Intent to Continue GSSM School Year 2021-22 if they have not already done so. The forms were due April 19. The final deadline to reserve your student's place at GSSM is Monday, May 17. The form can be found on the student GSSM portal. Please contact Mrs. Carabo (email@example.com) if you have questions.
Academic Awards Ceremony
- The Academic Awards Ceremony will be held at 4:00 pm, on Monday, May 17.
- The event will be held in the gym for students in residence, and faculty and staff, and can be viewed via LiveStream for those not on campus.
- Families whose Govie will receive an award during the Academic Award Ceremony should have already received an email from Dr. Martin (firstname.lastname@example.org) notifying them.
- Students who were assigned school hotspots should return them as soon as possible. Juniors must return them before moving out and Seniors must return theirs before graduation.
- Students who are learning virtually from home may mail them in or bring them to campus so long as they are turned in before Graduation.
I hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend.
Mr. Danny Dorsel
Interim President / Senior Vice President for Residential
SC Governor's School for Science + Mathematics