Sent on behalf of Interim President / Senior Vice President for Residential, Mr. Danny Dorsel:
Dear GSSM Community,
Please find below some updates for this week.
COVID-19 testing, cases and contract tracing
- There was one positive test for the rotational testing completed on Wednesday, May 5. Our quarantine protocol for this student and their close contacts has begun. We appreciate their cooperation and that of their families.
- Next week we will test another one-third of the student body on Wednesday, May 12.
Reminders of safety precautions
- Please continue to complete the REACH swash your hands, wear masks and tags, and social distance.
- It is tempting as we near the end of the school year to relax your vigilance in following the safety precautions and community standards. Please do not do this.
- We are committed to providing a healthy and safe environment to all students, faculty and staff. If students are unable to follow the safety precautions or other community standards, they will return home to complete their interim and AP exams. We want everyone to remain on campus, please help us make that a reality for the next two weeks.
AP exam update
- AP exams are underway and will continue until Monday, May 17.
- While students can cancel their exam without financial penalty this year, all students are encouraged to take the AP exams for which they registered. There is no downside for a student to take an AP exam. College credit can be received. There is no impact on the GSSM course grade and there is no impact on your college admissions status.
- Interim is underway and will continue until Wednesday, May 19 at noon.
End of year move out
- Saturday and Sunday, May 15 and 16: Preliminary move-out. Please refer to information sent from Dr. Thomas about how to proceed during these days.
- Wednesday, May 19: All juniors must move out by 6:00 pm on this day. Interim will end at noon. Please refer to information sent from Dr. Thomas about how to proceed on this day.
- Saturday, May 22: All graduates must move out by 2:00 pm on this day. Graduation will begin at 10:00 am and conclude before noon. Please refer to information sent from Dr. Thomas about how to proceed on this day.
Seniors currently at home
- All eligible seniors who are not currently in residence and their parents should have received an email from Dr. Mobley today regarding moving on to campus on Thursday, May 20. Please review it and the attachments carefully. The Release should be returned as instructed by Thursday, May 13, to reserve your space. Questions can be directed to Dr. Mobley, email@example.com.
- Graduation tickets were mailed to families of seniors April 29. Please let Dr. Martin (firstname.lastname@example.org) know if you have not received them.
Intent to Continue Forms
- Junior families whose students plan to return to GSSM for their senior year need to turn in their Intent to Continue GSSM School Year 2021-22 if they have not already done so. The forms were due April 19. The final deadline to reserve your student's place at GSSM is Monday, May 17. The form can be found on the student GSSM portal. Please contact Mrs. Carabo (email@example.com) if you have questions.
Academic Awards Ceremony
- The Academic Awards Ceremony will be held at 4:00 pm, on Monday, May 17.
- The event will be held in the gym for students in residence, and faculty and staff, and can be viewed via LiveStream for those not on campus.
- Families whose Govie will receive an award during the Academic Award Ceremony will receive an email from Dr. Martin (firstname.lastname@example.org) about a week before the event notifying them.
- Students who were assigned school hotspots should be ready to return them, along with their books and any other school-owned materials once classes and exams are over and before Graduation.
- Students who are on campus, and no longer need them, can return hotspots to Mr. Shannon now or at any time prior to the end of school.
I hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend.
Mr. Danny Dorsel
Interim President / Senior Vice President for Residential
SC Governor's School for Science + Mathematics