Vice President of Finance and Operations
Posted: 2 months ago
GSSM seeks an experienced and dedicated professional to be its next Vice President of Finance and Operations (VPFO). Reporting directly to the president, this person will partner with the president to develop and implement GSSM’s financial and operational policies and processes. As a member of the senior leadership team, the VPFO is expected to represent and speak for GSSM to key constituencies, including state legislators and GSSM Board of Trustees.
The VPFO is primarily responsible for providing oversight for two functional areas:
-Finance (including Budgeting, Payroll and Purchasing) and
-Campus Operations (including Facilities, Public Safety, and Contract Services).
The ideal candidate will be a person who believes in the GSSM mission, commits to the success of our community, and sets an example for joyful curiosity, hard work, collegiality and engagement.
GSSM is nationally recognized for the quality of its advanced STEM, humanities, student research, and international programs. Our faculty and staff share a passion for their disciplines and a commitment to inspire and lead students to achieve their best while fostering the joy of learning. GSSM is a public high school serving 11th-12th grade students residentially and 10th-12th grades through virtual programs. GSSM’s Outreach Center engages over 4,000 elementary and middle school students through various STEM educational programs around the state in partnership with several school districts.
Experience of Applicants:
Candidates must: 1) have extensive, proven, and progressive finance and accounting experience; 2) hold a minimum of a master’s degree in finance, accounting, business or related field; 3) have demonstrated leadership, supervisory, and management experience; and 4) be an effective communicator and team member.
The significant areas of responsibility for this position are:
- Develop and maintain financial systems to provide reliable and consistent reporting using state designate systems as well as internal systems
- Provide regular financial analysis and reporting to GSSM Board of Trustees and all internal GSSM departments and programs so that strategic decisions can be made and budget allocations can be managed effectively
- Manage a business office staff responsible for purchasing, procurement, payroll and other school business-related items
- Provide leadership, supervision, and support to the departments of facilities management, public safety, dining hall and any contract services
- Manage all state reporting requirements related to budget, finance and other business office-related items
- Communicate regularly with GSSM Board of Trustees members, legislators, and relevant agencies regarding GSSM financial performance, needs and capital requirements
- Work closely with the GSSM Foundation on financial matters
GSSM is mission-driven and committed to bring advanced STEM experiences within reach of every South Carolina family. The Vice President of Finance and Operations will join a dedicated team of professionals to support GSSM’s mission.
GSSM recognizes the importance and impact of inclusive excellence toward our future growth and success. Applicants are encouraged to address how they might assist GSSM in its commitment to inclusion by discussing it in their cover letter.
This is a permanent, full-time position in Hartsville, with benefits provided through the State of South Carolina. Salary is competitive and commensurate with credentials and experience.
The target date to start is July 2023, the first month of GSSM’s Fiscal Year. Review of applications will begin on March 1. For consideration, please apply through the SC State website http://careers.sc.gov, job #3893848. Salary will be competitive and is negotiable based on experience and knowledge. GSSM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested individuals must apply electronically here and include these three items to be considered complete:
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Current resume or curriculum vitae
- A completed GSSM/State Application
GSSM is an Equal Opportunity Employer