- Ph.D. in Optical Science and Engineering from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- B.S. in Physics and Mathematics from Gordon College
How long have you worked at GSSM?
Since August 2014
How long have you worked in academia?
Right after finishing graduate school I taught physics and engineering at Pfeiffer University 2009-2014
Tell us what you love about working at GSSM.
The energy and love for learning shared by all the students, faculty, and staff.
Are you a member of any professional organizations?
- AAPT - American Association of Physics Teachers
- SPIE - International Society for Optics and Photonics
- Sigma Pi Sigma - The Physics Honor Society
Please list and describe any personal information you would like to share.
I grew up on a dairy farm in a small town in upstate NY. In my free time I love combining art, physics, and math in the forms of music (trumpet), photography, and quilting. One of my goals is to visit all 50 states, only 5 more to go.
What would your students be surprised to learn about you?
I didn't see the ocean until I was 18.
What is your perfect pizza?
Lots of cheese topped with pepperoni and all sorts of veggies.
What's the best thing about Hartsville?
After coming here from Charlotte I'm thankful for a lot less traffic and being part of a community with a downtown area, especially when its decorated for Christmas. I also enjoy seeing familiar faces around town that gives a sense of belonging.