The South Carolina Governor's School for Science & Mathematics (GSSM) is accepting applications for Accelerate, a virtual engineering program, for the Class of 2019. Online applications are available at http://www.scgssm.org/admissions/virtual-admissions.
GSSM is partnering with a select group of school districts across the state to deliver Accelerate, an innovative virtual engineering program for 10th, 11th and 12th graders that provides intense academic rigor and a fast-paced learning environment which, upon successful completion, will allow students to earn up to 43 college credits.
Accelerate allows students to live at home and continue at their local schools while providing the high-quality education for which GSSM is known. Classes are live and are presented virtually through computer and audio/visual equipment that is provided and maintained by GSSM.
During the three-year program, students will also participate in annual summer camps, Saturday lab experiences and industry internships.
Accelerate applicants should be South Carolina residents, enrolled in 9th grade and attend high school in one of GSSM’s participating partner districts. In addition, applicants should anticipate successful completion of Algebra II Honors by the end of 9th grade.
2016-17 school year partner districts and sites:
- Berkeley County School District - Timberland High School, Cross High School
- Darlington County School District - Mayo High School for Math, Science and Technology, Darlington High School, Lamar High School
- Dorchester Two - Summerville High School, Fort Dorchester High School, Ashley Ridge High School
- Greenville County - J.L. Mann High School and Greenville High School
- Greenwood School District 50 - Russell Career Center
- Lexington One - Lexington Technology Center
- Orangeburg Five - Orangeburg-Wilkinson High School, Bethune Bowman Middle High School and North Middle High School
- Palmetto Scholars Academy
- Richland One - W.J. Keenan High School
- Spartanburg School District Five - Byrnes High School
- Spartanburg School District Six - Dorman High School
- Spartanburg School District Seven - Spartanburg High School