Students at the South Carolina Governor’s School for Science & Mathematics (GSSM) are hosting the school’s first-ever FTC Cascade Effect Scrimmage on Saturday, January 17, 2015 from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. at 401 Railroad Avenue, Hartsville, SC 29550. This scrimmage is open to all FIRST Tech Challenge teams across the state and will provide participants the opportunity to prepare for the South Carolina Regional Competition later in the month.
“There will be an almost constant stream of matches all day, so spectators can stop by at any time to watch the robots in action,” said Adam Blocker, GSSM senior from Hampton, SC. “Teams will be testing out different components of their robots and trying to spot faults in their design. Hundreds of hours have been put into the design of some of these robots. It is going to be interesting to see how they stack up against each other.”
The teams participating include:
- Team 327 - Cloud 10 - Hartsville, SC
- Team 772 - Caveman with Rock - Hartsville, SC
- Team 3641 - PPS Robotics - Summerville, SC
- Team 8477 - rOHMing Robotics - Charleston, SC
- Team 208 - KC Robotics - Lugoff, SC
- Team 753 - Greenvillains - Greenville, SC
- Team 378 - War Bot's - Wagener, SC
- Team 9121 - Falcon Force - Columbia, SC
GSSM has had at least one robotics team since 2005. In 2014, their robotics team competed in the FIRST Tech Challenge World Championships and was ranked 30th in the world. The first step toward competing in the 2015 world championship will be to win the South Carolina Regional Competition, held on January 31, 2015 at Gaffney High School.