On Saturday, February 22nd, the GSSM Mock Trial team traveled to Conway, South Carolina, to participate in the regional Mock Trial competition. GSSM was involved in three rounds throughout the day as they faced teams from West Florence, Carolina Forest, and Socastee. GSSM had several students recognized with awards for being the Most Effective Witness or Most Effective Attorney from both their fellow competitors and the scoring judges.
Round 1: Plaintiff
- Most Effective Attorney: Randi Jennings (judges and opponent)
- Most Effective Witness: Emily Anne Harris (opponent)
Round 2: Defense
- Most Effective Attorney: Houston Taylor (opponent)
- Most Effective Witness: Maura Hilbourn (judges and opponent)
Round 3: Plaintiff
- Most Effective Attorney: Elena Morgan (judges), Grace Lindsay (opponent)
- Most Effective Witness: Zachary Goodwin (judges), Emily Anne Harris (opponent)
Kudos to Elena Morgan, Maura Hilbourn, and Zachary Goodwin for participating in each of the three rounds. The organizers concluded the awards ceremony by revealing in a surprise announcement that GSSM finished as the top team in the region and, as a result, have qualified for the state competition in Columbia, March 13-14. It is unquestionably no easy task to advance in the Mock Trial state competition as this is just the 3rd time that GSSM has qualified in the last 12 years. The team has put forth the considerable time and effort to improve their performances and understanding of the law. This year's squad is led by co-captains Zeke McDavid and Randi Jennings.
The team members of this Mock Trial team include:
- David Bullock (Defense witness)
- Lili Fonteneau (Plaintiff witness)
- Zachary Goodwin (P. witness & D. timekeeper)
- Ravi Guruvelli (Defense attorney)
- Emily Anne Harris (Plaintiff witness)
- Maura Hilbourn (witness, timekeeper & bailiff)
- Randi Jennings (Plaintiff attorney & co-captain)
- Grace Lindsay (Plaintiff attorney)
- Zeke McDavid (Defense attorney & co-captain)
- Elena Morgan (P. attorney and D. witness)
- Houston Taylor (Defense attorney)
Congratulations to these Govies, and best of luck at the state competition!