The South Carolina Governor's School for Science & Mathematics (GSSM) sent two teams to the US First FTC Robotics State Tournament in Gaffney, SC, on February 3. Team 327 finished in 2nd place (finalists), and Team 772 finished in 3rd/4th place (semifinalists).
Team members include:
- Joseph Bhoi, child of Karen and Paul Bhoi of Beaufort
- Dylan Bruss, child of Jennifer and Andrew Bruss of Easley
- James Byrne, child of Diana and Dr. Tom Byrne of Barnwell
- Elizabeth Anna Colmer, child of Daisy Wang Colmer and Earl Edward Colmer of Rock Hill
- Brianna Fuller, child of Sharon and Joe Fuller of Summerville
- James Johnson, child of Kimberly and Patrick Johnson of Summerville
- Jay Medina, child of Luz Celis and Jesus Medina of Greer
- Nicholas Marquart Peckich, child of Cristine M. and Christopher Peckich of Bluffton
- Brennen Ravan, child of Sarah and J. Scott Ravan of Columbia
- Chelse VanAtter, child of Amy and Chad VanAtter of West Union
The team is mentored by GSSM professors Mrs. Elizabeth Bunn and Dr. Elaine Parshall.
“Both teams did extremely well and had tons of fun!” said team member Chelse VanAtter. “We helped a rookie team program, build, and troubleshoot their robot. When they came in they didn’t have a moving robot, but by today they were scoring points! We made lots of friends, and the competition was great!”
Pictured above: The “Flipperdoo” robot