For three weeks before the second semester begins, students at GSSM participate in a "mini-mester", or January Interim, where they focus on one elective course. Interim classes are a great way for students to ease into the new year, and the wide variety of course offerings allows students to tap into undiscovered talents and explore new hobbies. Several courses include travel, nationally or internationally, and field experiences. In years past, groups have visited places like Silicon Valley and the Galapagos Islands.
Course topics are diverse and include science, technology, art, music and drama. Interim courses are taught by members of the GSSM faculty, along with visiting professors from South Carolina colleges and universities.
2022 January Interim Classes
Course descriptions including instructors, student numbers and cost can be found in the pages following this list.
- Origami: The Art of Paperfolding
- Glider Piloting at the Bermuda High Soaring School
- The Genealogy of a Govie
- The Cooking Lab
- Skiing and Hiking in the Interim
- Patchwork Quilting: Stitching Together Textile Art and Geometry
- Art in the Interim
- Historical Simulations: Learning History Through Roleplaying Games
- Equine Science and Horsemanship
- Mental Health in Pop Culture: The Psychology of Adrian Monk
- The Mathematics of Game Shows
- Mathematical Problem Solving
- World Building in the Films of Studio Ghibli
- A Quick Course on Medical Lab Technology
- Buddhist Philosophy
- Getting Out and Wild in SC
- Chess in the Interim
- Computational Biology
- Building the Outdoor Classroom Using Sustainable Materials and Maybe Other Architectural Activities
- Ink and The Infinite
- Music Performance Interim
- Underwater Exploration Through SCUBA Certification
- Strength and Conditioning & Sports Medicine
- College Athletics: Past, Present, and Future
- Some courses might not occur if the minimum number of students is not met. If the maximum number of students is exceeded, placement will be based on requests in the order they are received.
- If you are requesting the same class for the second year in a row, you must receive permission from Mr. Dorsel.
- Courses vary in content and cost. If a student registers for a course that has a fee, the student is responsible for payment in full for the course, even if he/she later withdraws or is dismissed from GSSM prior to or during interim. If this occurs, GSSM will not reimburse payments made, and the student remains responsible for the full payment of the course fee.
- If you have any questions about interim, please contact Dr. Matt Martin (firstname.lastname@example.org).