South Carolina Governor’s School for Science + Mathematics will be transitioning from our current application to a New Online Application! Our current application will not be available after 5pm Tuesday, December 8th. Applicants who started or submitted their applications between Friday, October 1st – Tuesday, December 8th at 5pm will continue to complete the application in our prior application system.
New Applicants will use the new online application portal which will be available and live on Tuesday, December 8th at 5pm! If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be eligible for admission to Accelerate or TEAM UP, students must
- Be a current resident of the state of South Carolina. Proof of residency is required at the time of applying.
- Be enrolled in the 9th grade at the time of submitting an application.
- Attend high school in one of our partner districts or at one of the program’s partner schools.
- Have completed Algebra I prior to the beginning of 9th grade.
- Have completed or be on track to complete Algebra II by the end of 9th grade.
- Have a working email address, which they (or their parents) check frequently.*
- 11th grade applicants to TEAM UP must project completion Chemistry I and Pre-Calculus by the end of the 10th grade school year.
*Because Accelerate primarily communicates with applicants via email, students must have an email address. We strongly recommend that you supply us with at least two email addresses, one for the student and a different one for the parent, so that we may contact you in a timely fashion. Please do not use a student’s school or district email address; these email providers often block emails from outside the school or district. Free email providers, such as Gmail or Yahoo, are good alternatives. Emails from GSSM will come from @gssm.k12.sc.us or from @scgssm.org.
Virtual Programs Applications Components
To complete the Accelerate and TEAM UP applications, students will need to submit applications to each program. Students must create an application account and follow the instructions for completing the application process. All applications must be submitted online. If you have difficulties or questions during the application process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Prior to submitting an application, students must collect, prepare, and compile certain documents. These documents include the following:
- Proof of South Carolina residency
- Acknowledgements and Permissions Form signed by the applicant and his or her parent(s)
- Standardized Test Optional: Due to the unprecedented challenges presented by COVID-19 official standardized test scores are optional. For more information on our test optional policy, please visit our test optional page.
- High-school transcript with first-semester grades and a list of second-semester courses
- School counselor evaluation
- Math teacher evaluation
- Science teacher evaluation
- English teacher evaluation
- Math Assessment-required to be completed by all applicants for consideration into the Accelerate program. The Virtual Enrollment Counselor, Meghan Terry, will work with applicants to schedule the math assessment during the process.
Join Us For a Virtual Program Information Meeting
A representative from the Virtual Program will be hosting information sessions in all partner school districts. We hope you can join us to learn more about this amazing opportunity! Dates, locations, and times are being added regularly.
Click here for dates!