Accelerate is an intensive engineering program that offers virtual synchronous and blended (online with a synchronous weekly webinar) courses to 10th-, 11th-, and 12th-graders across the state of South Carolina. Most courses provided through the program are conducted via live interactive video conferencing, and all classes are supplemented by in-person camps, day trips, and research opportunities. Unlike GSSM’s residential students, Accelerate students remain at their home schools and complete program requirements in addition to their regular coursework.
Currently, the Accelerate program is available in certain school districts only. To determine whether your district participates in the program, please review the list of our partner sites.
For more detailed information about Accelerate, please select one of the navy buttons below or expand the Accelerate menu in the right-hand column by clicking on the plus sign.
- Accelerate offers advanced academic preparation for South Carolina high-school students (10th-12th grades) who are interested in pursuing future studies or careers in engineering.
- Most courses offered by Accelerate are dual-enrollment, which means that students simultaneously receive high-school and college credit upon completing their coursework.
- Depending on students’ choice of college and major, Accelerate offers them the opportunity to receive as many as 52 semester hours of college credit prior to finishing high school.
- In addition to required coursework in pre-calculus, calculus, chemistry, physics, engineering, and English, Accelerate provides students with the opportunity to take electives in areas such as computer science, biomedical engineering, and mechanical and aerospace engineering.
- All instructors within Accelerate have master’s or doctoral degrees in their fields of study.
- Depending on their grade level, Accelerate students participate several times a year in pre-engineering, chemistry, and physics labs at GSSM’s Hartsville campus.
- Aside from their coursework, all Accelerate students participate in Summer Experiences and Saturday Experiences, which are designed to give them exposure to real-world engineering challenges through hands-on learning and team-based projects.
- Accelerate is generously supported by the South Carolina General Assembly and corporate partners. Although there is no cost to participate in the program, parents are responsible for providing transportation to and from Summer Experiences and Saturday Experiences.
Congratulations, Accelerate Class of 2019!