GSSM Brings Home 16 out of 17 Awards at the South Carolina Junior Academy of Science Meeting
April 6, 2022
Students from GSSM’s Residential & Accelerate programs traveled to USC-Aiken on April 2 for the 94th Annual SC Junior Academy of Science (SCJAS) meeting to present their summer & school-year research projects. All the attending Govies from both the Residential and Accelerate programs represented GSSM extremely well. GSSM brought home sixteen out of seventeen of the mentored oral presentation awards (95%), despite representing 75% of the mentored presentations and papers.
The South Carolina Junior Academy of Science Annual Workshop brings together high school teachers and over 500 students throughout the state to participate in a full day of science-focused activities. The meeting featured a plenary speaker, hands-on activities, a governor awards ceremony, and oral presentations.
Students who presented more than one project have the award-winning presentation labeled as either "SPRI" for their summer project or with the course number for their school-year project. Listed students are Residential Class of 2022 unless otherwise indicated.
- 1st - Mia Kim (SPRI)
- 2nd (T) - Ace Kelly (SPRI)
- 2nd (T) - Isabelle Hipple
- 3rd (T) - Sanjeev Chauhan
- 3rd (T) - Moira Fontenot (SPRI)
- 1st (T) - Ace Kelly (SPRI)
- 1st (T) - Stephen Galaida, Nathan Stolzenfeld (SPRI) & Harrison Walker (SPRI)
Botany & Zoology
- 1st (T) - Alyssa Gillam & William Ostergaard
- 1st (T) - Isabelle Hipple
Biochemistry & Chemistry*
- 1st - Ella Alan (CHE403)
- 2nd - Firdavs Nasriddinov (CHE403)
- 3rd - Nat Bruss & Akhil Devarapalli (CHE401)
- 1st (T) - Makenzie Jones (Acc '22)
- 2nd - Ella Alan (SPRI) & Dixie Collins
- 3rd - Mia Kim (CHE403)
Computer Science, Physics & Mathematics
- 1st (T) - Camille Day & James White
- 1st (T) - Isabel Rancu
- 2nd (T) - Sanjeev Chauhan
- 2nd (T) - Jack Brent
- 1st - Anna Gray Ashton (SPRI) & Eva Godwin (SPRI)
- 2nd - Jasmine Hagerty
Thank you to the GSSM faculty research advisors and research and inquiry course instructors for helping their students prepare their presentations.
Congratulations to all the GSSM students who presented at SCJAS today!