All classes are currently full.
Do you like to play video games? Have you ever wanted to create your own video games? Do you like to play chess? Or have you ever wanted to learn how to play chess?
Then you should sign up for ENGAGE!
Early experiences with STEM help to build students’ confidence with new technologies. That’s why we’ve created ENGAGE. Delivered by GSSM’s Center for Science Education & Outreach, ENGAGE is designed to impact students through early interest and awareness of STEM studies.
Two six-week after-school ENGAGEMENTS will be delivered this semester to 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students.
- Game Design with Kodu: Activities will center on computer programming through game design using Kodu technology. Students will use critical thinking skills and deductive reasoning as they explore game design with the Kodu software. A download is required to participate (see below).
- Afternoon Chess with Govies: Activities will center on problem solving and strategic thinking utilizing the game of Chess. Students will explore the maneuvers, strategies, and cultivate the patience required to master the game of Chess. All skill levels are invited.
Engage registration deadline is January 15, 2021!
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM ENGAGE
- Six virtual sessions of captivating fun learning new skills while playing video or chess games.
- Opportunities to connect with GSSM’s residential students who will serve as instructors and role models.
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT AND MATERIALS
- Personal email address (parent or student; must be able to receive outside emails) to access Canvas, our web-based learning platform, and receive all notifications and instructions from instructors.
- Computer with internet connection that can handle video conferencing using Zoom.
- Headset recommended for audio quality, but not required
- Game Design with Kodu requires a computer that can download and run Kodu Game Lab software. Kodu Game Lab is a free software that requires the following supported operating systems: Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista, Windows XP
- Step 1: Complete the Student Program Registration form using the link provided.
- Step 2: A registration confirmation will be sent to the email provided. The email will provide your student's participant ID # and links to register online for the classes.
- Step 3: Use the links in the confirmation email to complete the online student documents.
- Step 4: Add @gssm.k12.sc.us to your safe senders list. Acceptance notifications will be sent via email.
GSSM cannot be held responsible to block inappropriate internet material from your family’s computer or internet connection. GSSM firewalls do not protect your home networks. Instructors will provide websites for students to explore, and they cannot be held responsible for popup ads or other links that the student may follow.
Space is limited to 25 students per class.
Note: To offer these opportunities to as many participants as possible, students will only be able to register for one ENGAGE session per semester. To get the most from the ENGAGE experience, attendance at all six sessions is required.
4:00 PM - 5:30 PM
- Game Design with Kodu: Mondays, February 1 - March 7, 2021
- Afternoon Chess with Govies: Wednesdays, February 4 - March 10, 2021
Free of charge
6th, 7th, 8th
January 15, 2021